Magnus Jonsson, Level Designer
They say that behind every successful raptor there is a Magnus. This Magnus currently resides in Malmö, Sweden and designs video game levels for a living.
I still remember when I first wanted to make games. Born in the early 80s, I was swept right into the storm that the NES was. I was home, but there was still something missing. I was imagining myself making these games, these worlds – what would I have done differently? A head first dive into BASIC with grand plans for sprawling RPGs (incidentally, the first level editor I used was of my own making). Since then, I’ve never stopped making games.
Simply put, I love building levels.
- More than four years experience of (professional) level design, including turn based strategy, real time strategy, first person shooter.
- Experienced mission designer for first person shooters
- Experienced level scripter for first person shooters
- Just the right blend of programmer and designer
I always find new ways to apply my skills, and I always want to learn new things. As a level designer, I have…
- written a metrics tool that lets you send markers running down splines on a 2D map – ideal for player collision points in multiplayer.
- somehow been given the time and mandate to turn the roughest of data collecting websites into a fully fledged survey tool now used by virtually every team at Ubisoft Massive.
What currently captures my brain matter outside of work is a Ruby on Rails based web game, focusing on mistrust, lies and deceit within a small group of players.